As well as producing tuning and diagnostic software, EcuTek provides enhanced features for OEM engine management systems, these enhancements coming under the product banner of RaceROM Features.
When tuning a vehicle using ProECU Tools, any available RaceROM feature enhancements may be used to benefit the vehicle, and they're included in the cost of the Tuning Suite.
The RaceROM features available for each vehicle vary depending on the characteristics of its ECU, but popular functions include map switching; flat-foot shifting; variable boost and launch control RPM; speed density tuning; valet mode and downshift auto-blip.
Custom maps overview
EcuTek RaceROM Custom Maps is an advanced feature for the use of expert tuners only, which provides them with the ability to modify the control algorithms within a car's ECU to create new maps.
All added maps are listed in the RaceROM Feature File (RFF) and can be displayed by function, class or user experience level.
Tuners can specify the X and Y inputs of these new maps as they wish, determine what the map's output should give them, and the circumstances under which the maps should operate. In a nutshell, you can create a map for almost anything.
In many cases the new maps afford a higher resolution than the OEM maps, for instance in the case of the Nissan 370Z fuelling map it's a resolution of 20×24 instead of the original factory 8&tims;8.
Tuners can take great advantage of this to develop bespoke features that other tuners simply cannot, or to develop one-off fixes to overcome specific problems encountered while tuning a highly modified car. Different maps can be brought into play by existing switchgear temporarily reassigned to the job.
RaceROM Custom Maps are currently available for the following cars…
- Nissan GT-R
- Nissan 370Z
- Subaru BRZ / Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S
- Subaru DIT
It brings the tuner a host of valuable facilities and enhancements (that vary depending on the vehicle), of which the following are examples…
- Boost Control — Closed loop boost control using Custom Maps.
- Fail Safe — Protect the engine from potentially dangerous operating conditions.
- Flat-Foot Shift — Allows the driver to make full-throttle gearchanges.
- Gauge Hi-Jack — Display, say, lambda or fuel trims on the oil temperature gauge.
- Knock Warning — Makes the Check Engine Light (CEL) flash whenever cylinder knock is detected.
- Launch Control — Modify the launch RPM using cruise control buttons.
- Map Switching — Using existing car switchgear to select up to four different Custom Maps.
- Mass AirFlow (MAF) Scaler — This added extra provides the best solution to the niggling problems often encountered by tuners who upgrade to a larger Mass AirFlow (MAF) sensor.
- Per-Gear Rev Limit — Set a different rev limit for each gear.
- Speed Density — Allows tuning based on Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP).
- Traction Control — Adjust traction control characteristics.
- Valet Mode — Allows the driver to lock the car into a lower performance mode when lending it to a less experienced driver.
These Custom Map features and many others are described in detail in a separate Custom Maps manual, which can be found in the relevant ProECU software under the Help tab.
EcuTek RaceROMs are constantly evolving to bring more refinements, greater accuracy and new features, and we always release them free of charge to those tuners who already hold a ProECU licence for the model of car to which the RaceROM applies.